Frequently Asked Questions

Nursing FAQs

It’s common for our nursing candidates to have questions about the hiring and placement process. The answers to our most commonly asked questions are listed below – if you have additional questions, please reach out to us at [email protected]

Joining the Arriba Team

What professions do you hire?
At present, we are primarily hiring registered nurses. That said, given the breadth of our business relationships, and the shortages many industries are facing, we are always open to recruiting therapists, ancillary staff, pilots and jockeys to work towards sponsorship opportunities for permanent residency.
What countries do you recruit from?
We are actively recruiting in twenty different countries across the world. Arriba has successfully recruited individuals from five continents: North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
What qualifications do I need to join the Arriba team?
You may apply at any time on our website < Add the link for the web form here>, however, to qualify to join our team, you must have the following: (1) You must have passed NCLEX (2) You must have at least two (2) years of previous nursing experience where you were performing bedside patient care as a nurse in a hospital or skilled-nursing facility, and you must currently be working in a hospital or skilled-nursing facility performing bedside patient care at the time of your application. (3) You must be fluent in English. (4) A minimum of three references, written in English, that can be verified attesting to your skills as a nurse.
Why do you require current work experience?
Current experience is required because we want to set you up for success! We pride ourselves on success of our nurses and the quality of care they provide to the patients and residents of our Client Facilities. We are so dedicated to maintaining a clinically competent workforce, that we require our nurses to maintain their work experience as they navigate visa processing so that we can confidently place our nurses in positions where you will take the quality of healthcare up, up, up!
How do I apply to become part of the Arriba team?
You should first apply on our website: < Add the link for the web form here>, This will help us confirm that you have the requisite skills and experience for a nursing position in the U.S.
Do I have to sign a contract?
Yes, we require a signed contract to confirm that you will work for Arriba for a predetermined amount of time in the U.S.
How long is my commitment to Arriba?
Your commitment to work for Arriba will be three (3) years. Arriba provides our nurses with long-term assignments. These assignments provide our nurses with an opportunity to make a positive impression with a healthcare facility to which he or she has been assigned, in the hopes that the facility may offer the nurse a position upon expiration of three (3) year commitment to Arriba.

Life in the U.S.

Will someone help me upon arriving to the U.S.?
Yes, our relocation specialists will personally welcome you and give you the best arrival experience possible when you arrive.
What is the weather like in Western Pennsylvania?
We are lucky to experience all four seasons in Western Pennsylvania.
What is it like to work as a nurse in the US?
Nurses in the U.S. are treated as professionals, and as an R.N., you’ll most likely have more autonomy than you’re used to at home. An RN’s role is an educator and decision-maker. A nursing career is considered a career with growth opportunity, including career advancement and further education.
How do I find accommodations in the US?
We provide thirty (30) days of free housing for our new arrivals. During this period, our relocation specialist can help you look for permanent housing that best suits your needs.
Is the pay better in the US?
Nurse salaries in the U.S. are among the most competitive in the world. Your compensation will depend on your experience, clinical specialty and the location of your assignment. Based on the cost of living, some regions of the country pay more than other areas.
How much does it cost to live in the U.S.?
The cost of living largely depends on the region where you are working, the housing options you choose and your own personal preferences. There is no set, standard-of-living cost, but many things in the U.S. are less expensive than in other countries, including cars, gas/petrol, household goods, clothing and food. The cost of living in Western Pennsylvania is lower than the average U.S. cost of living, which makes it an affordable place for our nurses to live and work.
What happens after I complete my contract with Arriba?
You will have many choices and opportunities after you complete your contract with Arriba. We would love to continue to work with you and you could begin a new assignment with us – perhaps a nursing opportunity in the same facility or another facility in another location you’d like to live. There may also be an opportunity to become a permanent employee of your assigned facility. You may also arrange for your own employment at a facility of your choice anywhere in the United States.

Assignments in the U.S.

Where will my assignment be located?
Currently we are focused on assignments in western Pennsylvania. That said, we are growing rapidly and are in the process of developing opportunities across the U.S. for our nurses.
Do you provide orientation before I start my U.S. assignment?
In order to ensure that you are successful in your new position, we have established an orientation and on-boarding program which you will complete prior to starting your assignment. You will also receive an orientation at your assignment location. You will be paid for your orientation period at your assignment location.
How do you match me with an assignment?
When determining where you will be assigned, we will consider your skills, experience, needs, personality and career, in addition to the needs of our Client Facilities.
Do you offer ongoing clinical support for your nurses in the US?
Yes. We are dedicated to providing quality nursing care and we have developed a Performance Improvement and Evaluation program that is managed by our Director of Clinical Services. We also have an online learning management system so that you will continue to improve your skills.

Visas and Licenses

What type of nursing visa do I need to work in the US?
You will need a permanent residency visa, also referred to as a “Green Card” to work in the U.S. This visa allows you to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
What type of visa do you file for your nurses?
We file the EB-3 Green Card visa for our nurses. This visa allows you to stay in the U.S. permanently and provides you the opportunity to eventually become a U.S. citizen if you choose to do so.
Are there costs for the permanent residency visa?
Arriba pays the filing fee for your permanent residence visa and your National Visa Center (NVC) fees.
Can I bring my family?
If you are married, your spouse and unmarried children (under the age of 21) can legally relocate to the U.S. with you. You are responsible for the filing fees associated with your spouse and children’s visa and NVC fees.
What type of nursing license do I need to work in the US?
You will need an R.N. license issued by a U.S. state board. Regardless of which state license you obtain, you will ultimately apply to endorse that license for the state in which you are assigned.
What type of training do I need for the RN License?
To get your RN license you will need to pass the NCLEX-RN examination.
What is the NCLEX exam?
NCLEX is the abbreviation for the National Council Licensure Examination. Nurses must pass the computerized, multiple-choice NCLEX in order to be eligible for nursing employment in the U.S. NCLEX covers five areas of nursing: medicine, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry and obstetrics, and is designed to test your knowledge and ability to provide high-quality patient care. The exam takes about five hours, and you will receive your results within three weeks of taking the exam.
How do I apply to take the NCLEX?
You can learn more about NCLEX and register here:
When I register, which state should I select to take the NCLEX?
You are able to register and take the NCLEX through any state board of nursing. It is important to remember that the state board of nursing with which you choose to take the NCLEX is not necessarily the state you will end up working in. Regardless of which state license you obtain, you will ultimately apply to endorse that license for the state in which you are assigned. When searching for a state in which to apply for the NCLEX, do not select a state based on the popularity of the region or even your dream destination. Instead, you should consider the requirements of each state board of nursing for foreign nurses. In order to avoid issues with your application and undue delay in the immigration process, you might want to consider not applying for NCLEX with a state board that requires any of the following: • IELTS or TOEFL results • Clinical experience • Social security number (you will have issues later if you apply to a state that will not issue a license if you do not have a social security number). Our nurses have had success with the following state boards of nursing: Northern Mariana Island (a U.S. commonwealth), Illinois, Texas, New Mexico and New York. We recommend that you do your research into the NCLEX application process as you may also find other state boards that have requirements that are easy to complete.
Where do I take the NCLEX exam?
The NCLEX is offered at a variety of international locations. Because the locations of the testing centers are subject to change, we suggest you check the testing board’s website at
Does the NCLEX expire?
No, once you have taken and passed the examination, you do not need to take it again (even if your U.S. State License has expired).
Does Arriba pay for the NCLEX?
No. You are responsible for the cost of the exam and any related expenses, including travel to and from the exam site. Information on the costs and fees for the exam can be found at
What is the IELTS?
IELTS is the abbreviation for the International English Language Testing System that the U.S. requires nurses to pass in order to obtain a VisaScreen Certificate which is required in order to obtain the EB-3 Green Card visa.
Which version of the IELTS do I need to take?
There are two types of IELTS examinations. You will be required to pass the IELTS Academic in order to obtain the required VisaScreen certificate.
What are the minimum scores to pass the IELTS Academic?
You must score a 7 in speaking and a 6.5 overall.
What is VisaScreen certification?
VisaScreen certification is a process to ensure that you have the necessary qualifications to work in the U.S. The screening process is comprised of an educational analysis, licensure validation and English language proficiency assessment. Once all elements of the assessment are successfully completed, you will receive a VisaScreen certificate. The VisaScreen certificate satisfies U.S. Federal Screening requirements and can be presented to an American embassy or consular office as part of your permanent residency application.
Does Arriba pay for VisaScreen?
No. You are responsible for the cost of the screen. Information regarding the costs and fees for VisaScreen can be found at:
How long will the immigration process take?
Unfortunately given the complexities of the immigration process, we cannot guarantee a time frame for the filing and/or approval of your immigration petition. Beyond bureaucratic and political issues, immigration is complicated simply because the process varies for each candidate and his/her specific set of circumstances. While we cannot commit to a timeline, we will commit to working diligently to bring you to the U.S. in a legal and ethical manner.

Get Started with Arriba!